December 8, 2008

ceramicist: rose griffin

Now that I'm thinking of leaving New Zealand, I see wonderful pieces everywhere that I would love to take back with me to Texas, like the dark-stained sushi platter imprinted with New Zealand plants, below. All of the dishes created in the Nelson studio of Rose Griffin feel fresh and useable. You can see more of Rose's work on her website, or purchase by going here.



"My workshop and gallery (in a tiny woolshed) share a site with a much-loved native plant nursery, Nikau Gardens and much of my decoration has been inspired by these plants. I love the graphic qualities of expressive drawing and it is these which I bring to my ceramics. All my ceramics are of slab construction and the white slab or pure bisqued dish is very much like a piece of white paper, just waiting for the slash of a pencil mark or smear of inky black stain." -Rose Griffin


No comments: