May 8, 2011

happy mother's day

I have the sweetest mother - really, I know what you're thinking, that it's Mother's Day and all. But people tell me this about my mother all the time... strangers, good friends, pretty much everyone that knows her.

I'd like to add some things to the list, because really, she's so much more complex than that. She's also the most selfless and giving person I've ever met. Who else would bottle feed a baby sheep, Jose, when it's mother-already burdened with 2 babies-rejected it right after birth? And let it sleep in her bed. Or bath a tiny chick and then blow dry it, and notice how much it really loved being blown dry. Or take care of my Alzheimer's-riddled grandmother for more than 10 years, every day, every night, almost every hour.

What if I also told you that she maintains an architectural design business, and drafts, by hand, many amazing and gorgeous homes, each perfectly suited to the client? Or that she deals with my crusty Dad (sorry Dad), keeps a beautiful home, cooks like noone else, and is an expert on alternative medicine? I can only hope that one day I am as strong, patient, kind and loving as my Mom.

I love you so much, Mom, and I wish I could be there... and I hope you don't have to do any chicken tidy-up, or sheep wrangling today.

No comments: